The SME Consulting Programme finances business projects mandated by local enterprises, undertaken by SMU students and supervised by SMU faculty or affiliates who are either subject matter expert or industry practitioner . It is a first-of-its-kind tripartite collaboration where a leading regional bank lends financial commitment, a world-class university makes available student and faculty resources, and successful local businesses provide sponsorship and hands-on experience to nurture and develop the local business community.
Students engaging in these projects are senior year students who have had strong academic grounding and interest in the area they are consulting. This is where they pick up hands-on experiences that will equip them for the real world.
Majority of these projects were Market Research and Branding related projects (~65%) and with the remaining (35%) consisting of Business Expansion, Feasibility Studies, Human Resource, Finance and Operation Management related projects. A typical example of how the SME Consulting Programme works is, students working on market research projects will have the opportunity to go out collecting primary data for companies. They may also conduct focus groups, if the team and the company deem it necessary.
Local enterprises who would like to be involved with the UOB-SMU Asian Enterprise Institute by providing opportunities for SMU students to work with them, may apply to do so.
- At least 51% local equity
- Projects must be beneficial to the SMEs
- Projects must provide students with meaningful experience and exposure to business issues and problems
- The SME should be in business for at least one year or the entrepreneur(s) have committed at least SGD100,000 in their business
- Complete the online PROJECT REQUEST SHEET.
- Email the completed form to email@example.com
- Staff from the Institute will contact applicants to obtain further details
- Requests will be reviewed by the Institute based on internal guidelines
- If approved, a team of student consultants and project advisor will be assigned to the project. The project advisor will usually be a member of the SMU faculty or an affiliate who is either a subject matter expert or industry practitioner
Type of Assistance
Student consultant teams will be able to assist in the following areas (not limited to):
- Evaluation of Business Opportunities
- Business Planning
- Market Research and Strategies
- Brand Audit and Strategies
- Operational Process Review and Enhancement
- Accounting Data Analytics / Delivery Efficiencies
- Development of Appraisal System
- Review of Remuneration Structure
- Job Mapping and Review of HR processes
- Feasibility Study
- Organisation Climate Analysis
- Overseas Market / Business Research
- Any other business related issues
- Projects that are approved will receive a subsidy of 80% on the cost of the consulting project
- Each consulting project is a fixed-cost-fixed-time project
- 12-14 weeks
- S$1,370 (after 80% subsidy and including GST)
- The cost covers:
- Stipends to the student consultants
- Honorarium to the project advisor
- SME is to bear expenses such as incentives for focus group participants, stationery, printing, transport claims, etc.
Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any enquiries.
Last updated on 28 Jun 2017 .